Diesel trucks carry Manhattan's garbage 7.8 million miles every year. That's the equivalent of driving more than 312 times around the Earth!
- Go paperless.
- Advertise your event online (distribute fliers by email and promote the event using social media).
- Make agendas and other materials available electronically before and after the event.
- Use reusable name badges.
- Create and laminate signs to use again for future events.
- Reuse tablecloths and decorations.
- Use reusable bowls and trays and possibly even plates.
- Choose greener catering options.
- Order food from businesses nearby to minimize resources needed to transport.
- Provide buffet-style food choices rather than individually packaged items or order in bulk.
- Serve finger food snacks to limit the need for plates and utensils.
- Choose locally grown and/or seasonal produce, Fair Trade foods and beverages, vegetarian/vegan options.
- Make recycling easy.
- Be sure that recycling bins are clearly visible next to garbage cans and are clearly labeled.
- Assign the role of recycling coordinator. A person should be responsible for coordinating recycling and ensuring that recycling is done correctly.
- Reduce waste.
- Limit the usage of single-use utensils and encourage attendees to bring their own plates, utensils, bottles, mugs, or cups.
- Avoid single-use cups and glasses by providing glasses for wine or beer in cans or glass bottles.
- Provide beverage dispensers for water or other soft drinks and avoid buying small plastic bottles.
- Avoid over-ordering by requiring event registration.
- Recycle and manage waste sustainably.
- Recycle what is not needed.
- Take home leftovers or share them with neighbors or other staff. For bigger events, consider donating the leftover food to an organization.
- Communicate. Tell your attendees about WCM’s sustainable efforts and explain what the institution wants to accomplish by going green.
For larger events:
- Meet virtually if possible.
- Promote the use of public transportation and car-pooling or hire shuttles to transport participants.
Contact WCM-Sustainability@med.cornell.edu for help with your event.